When the temperatures soar, all we want to do is open every door and every window in the house and enjoy the fresh air! This, of course, poses a huge security risk so we’ve put together a list of summer security tips to help you keep your home and garden safe this summer.
1. Be responsible with your windows
Opening the windows lets in a breeze that feels lovely during summer days and nights. Here’s how to keep your house safe while you have your windows open. Primarily, you need to ensure that all your windows can be locked, and can’t be forced open from the outside – especially if they are ground level windows. When opening windows around the house this summer, bear the following tips in mind:
- Try to only open windows in the rooms you are occupying.
- Ensure all windows are closed if you plan to go into the back garden for a while.
- Don’t leave downstairs or accessible windows open during the night.
2. Secure your shed
One area of the house that is often overlooked in terms of security is the garden shed. We often store valuable items in our sheds like bikes, lawnmowers and tools and because they are often isolated away from our houses, they are an attractive target for thieves. There are a few ways you can secure your garden shed to prevent your valuable being stolen:
- Repair any existing damage. A broken window or loose panel can provide a great access point for thieves.
- Install lights in your garden with a passive infrared sensor, so any night-time intruders can be caught red-handed.
- Install a sturdy lock system and an intruder alarm to alert you if a break-in is attempted.
3. Improve your home CCTV system
Improving the surveillance around your home is a great way to ensure your property will be secure during summer. Whether you’re at home or away on your summer holiday, a home CCTV security system can allow you to keep an eye on your home and belongings.
At IDS Security we offer a range of CCTV options to help you secure your home. To find out more about the CCTV security systems we offer, click here:
CCTV Security from IDS >
4. Ensure you have a competent fire security system in place
The hot and dry conditions that come with summer heat waves can be incredibly dangerous, causing fires to spread at an alarming rate. Here are a few tips to help keep you and your property safe from fires this summer:
- Keep doors shut as much as possible. It can be tempting to open all the doors in the house to allow air to circulate, but a closed door can keep a fire at bay much longer than if a door is left open.
- BBQ sensibly. Don’t have open fires near to your home and be sure to put them out before venturing back inside.
- Check that your fire alarm system is fully operational. At IDS we can help you to design, install and maintain a comprehensive fire security system to help prevent fires in your home this summer. Find out more about our fire alarm systems here:
IDS Fire Alarm Systems >
At IDS, we want to ensure you have the necessary security systems in place so that you can enjoy a relaxing summer! Give us a call on 029 20 753 251 to enquire about improving your security before summer, or click the button to explore our security options online.
Explore IDS Security >