Going on holiday is so exciting, especially now that airports and holidays are becoming available to us again and COVID-19 restrictions are easing! One thing that often plays on people’s minds while they’re away, is the security of their home and belongings. We're here to show you how to keep your home safe while you're away.
The best way to ensure guaranteed relaxation on your holiday is to prepare and secure your home - don't leave anything up to chance. In this blog, we cover a variety of holiday security tips that will help you feel at ease as you jet off on your holiday.
Fire Prevention & Fire Alarms
One of the most feared and truly devastating things that could happen to your home while you are away is a house fire. There are a few simple steps you can take to dramatically reduce the likelihood of a fire while your house is left unattended.
- Turn off plugs at the mains and unplug any household items that do not need to be on. This includes lamps, Tv’s, hairdryers etc. If any of these items are faulty, they could cause a fire while you’re on holiday.
- Close internal doors before you leave. If a fire was to break out, having the doors closed will limit the oxygen (fuel) accessible to the fire, and will also stop the fire from spreading throughout the house as quickly.
- Check and change the fire alarm batteries. You should always check your smoke alarms are working properly, whether you are going on holiday or not. But when you leave to go on holiday, having effective smoke alarms in place can alert neighbours and the authorities if there is a fire.
If you don’t have an effective fire alarm system in place, we at IDS can help! Our specialist team can design, install and maintain fire alarm systems for any property, commercial or residential. Click the button below to find out more.
Fire Alarm Systems from IDS >
Leaving all of your worldly possessions unattended is another huge worry for holiday-goers. There are a few holiday security tips you can implement to make your home less attractive to burglars.
First and foremost, CCTV cameras are a great deterrent for burglars, if they know they're on camera, they're far less likely to push their luck to try and break in (even if they can see the house is vacant). Having a CCTV camera (or cameras) installed around your home will give you peace of mind that any security breaches will be recorded. Nowadays, you can even use your mobile phone to check the security cameras around your house remotely. This is perfect if you take trips away from home regularly and want to keep an eye on things.
There is a huge range of surveillance systems available to choose from. At IDS Security we offer a range of security cameras and CCTV systems that can be tailored to suit your property.
IDS CCTV Security Systems >
Like a fire alarm, an intruder alarm can alert neighbours and the authorities if your property is broken into while you are on holiday. At IDS we offer intruder alarm systems with an optional maintenance contract. This means you can have your property monitored by our team around the clock! Speak to our installers about a maintenance contract if you're going to be away from home throughout the year. We'll take some of the holiday security stress off your hands.
Interested in seeing the different types of intruder alarms we offer? Simply click the button below:
Intruder alarms >
Some final holiday security tips to ensure your property is properly secured before your holiday:
- Hide or deposit any valuable items in a safe or secure place. Valuable items on display are likely to attract burglars to your property.
- Ensure all your windows and doors are not damaged and are locked securely. You don't want to find that you left your house wide open to burglars while you're on holiday.
- Don’t make it obvious that your house is temporarily vacant.
- Don’t broadcast your holiday prolifically online. You'll be surprised how many burglars target homes after seeing people posting holiday pictures on social media!
- Make a checklist to ensure you have taken all necessary holiday security precautions before you set off! There's nothing worse than feeling like you've forgotten to do something when you're on the way.
We hope that these tips help you enjoy your holiday knowing that your home is safe and secure. If you have any questions about home security, don’t hesitate to contact a member of our team on 029 20 753 251.