UK employers are required by law to provide a safe workplace for their employees. One of the most crucial considerations for a business owner is fire safety - fires cause countless injuries and fatalities every year, and many of these incidents occurred in offices and other workplaces.
As an employer, your fire risk assessment will supply you with a number of different safety measures that you'll need to take in order to protect your staff from the risk of fire-related death or injury. Under the fire risk assessment, you must provide easily accessible fire exits, making sure that these points are clearly labelled and kept free from obstructions; you must also ensure that your workers know what to do and where to go in the event of a fire, as well as keeping fire extinguishers in the building in case a blaze breaks out.
Of course, installing an office fire alarm is one of the most important fire safety measures of all - here's why:
Why does my office need a fire alarm system?
A high-quality office fire alarm system will:
- Warn your entire building when a fire starts
- Speed up evacuation in the event of a fire
- Alert the emergency services right away
- Allow you to carry out regular fire drills if signalling is installed (at least 1 per quarter)
- Protect your premises from fire even when nobody's around
- Carry out weekly fire alarm tests
Of course, even if the list above doesn't convince you, there's one even more compelling reason to install a fire detection system in your office: it will ensure that you meet the requirements of The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2006.
Office Fire Alarm Requirements
Section 4 of the UK government's guide fire safety in the workplace states:
"You must have a fire detection and warning system. You may need different types of detectors, depending on the type of building and the work carried out in it."
As the excerpt suggests, every workplace must have some
kind of fire detection system in place, but the exact requirements vary depending on a range of different factors.
In order to ensure that your office fire alarm system is suitable for your business and its premises, it's a good idea to seek the help of an experienced professional. We at IDS Security Systems
, for example, offer the following service:
- We will recommend the best fire detection solution for your business
- We will supply you with state-of-the-art fire protection technology
- Our professional installers will ensure that your new system is set up properly
- Our 24-hour monitoring and engineering service will ensure that your fire alarm system is fully functional at all times