According to Statista, the number of burglary offences recorded in England and Wales dropped off massively between 2002/03 and 2019/20.
- In 2002/03, the total number of burglaries in England and Wales stood at approximately 890,100.
- By 2019/20, the total number stood at around 365,000 - a whopping 525,000 difference!
With such a huge change in the number of burglaries occurring, it's fair for homeowners to ask whether or not they even need a home security system. Well, we at IDS Security Systems believe - despite the significant drop in burglaries over the last 15 years or so - that an efficient and effective home security system is still worth investing in.
Why you should install a home security system
Being burgled is a terrifying experience that can affect homeowners mentally as well as financially. In 2020, each home burglary in the UK costs around £3,000 on average, with one occurring every 106 seconds (ONS). More than one third of that cost is the emotional cost to victims, which makes sense when you take into account that someone is home during 58% of burglaries.
These facts alone should be enough to convince any homeowner to invest in a basic home security system, but will such an investment actually pay off? Do home security systems work?
How effective are home security systems?
According to The Guardian, nearly half of the 12 burglars they interviewed for a study on crime stated that most thieves were opportunists who would avoid difficult break-ins. The most effective deterrent for home burglaries were CCTV cameras (along with barking dogs, strong doors, a TV being on, and strong UPVC windows). This suggests that home security systems do work when it comes to preventing domestic crime.
Surprisingly, the same study also revealed that 28% of adults take no measures to protect their home. But why?
Let's take a look at some of the pros and cons associated with home security systems:
Pros of a home security system
- Safety - The primary benefit of installing a home security system in your home is, of course, safety. As we have seen above, installing a simple CCTV camera system can be enough to deter a burglar from targeting your home. A small investment in a basic home security system could potentially save you thousands in the future.
- Home insurance discounts - Many home security systems can get you discounts on home insurance. Obviously, home insurance companies wouldn't offer you this discount if they thought that home security systems didn't work.
Cons of a home security system
- Cost of equipment - The biggest turn-off for homeowners when it comes to home security systems is their cost. On average, a good security system will set you back around £300 for the equipment alone. But, as we mentioned above, a £300 investment is definitely worth it considering a single burglary costs the targeted household £3,000 on average!
- Monthly / yearly costs - In addition to the initial investment for equipment, further expenses may be required for services like 24/7 monitoring and cellular, landline or battery backup, which keeps your security system on in the event of a power cut. This all depends on whether you choose to have a security system installed by a professional company (instead of a DIY solution).
- False alarms - A false alarm is always better than a real alarm, right? Of course they are, but we still don't want them to happen. Not only do they wake you up in the middle of the night, they can also become a bother to the police if they are notified every time your alarm sounds.
Despite these cons, the positives of home security do tend to outweigh the negatives. As the old saying goes: "you can't put a price on peace of mind".
IDS Security offer state-of-the-art home security systems to help ensure that you, your family and your home are always protected. No matter what your needs are, we are able to provide a home security solution that suits you.
Home Security Systems >
If you would like more information on how IDS Security Systems can protect your home with our bespoke security solutions, then please do not hesitate to get in touch with a member of our team today.