According to Statista, the number of burglary offences recorded in England and Wales from 2002/2003 to 2019/2020 has reduced massively. In 02/03, the total number of burglaries in England and Wales stood at approximately 890,100, whereas in 19/20, the total number stands at around 365,000 - a whopping 525,000 difference!
With such a huge change in the number of burglaries occurring, it's fair for homeowners to ask whether or not home security systems are worth installing. Well, here at IDS Security Systems, we still believe that despite the huge drop in burglaries over the 15 years, an efficient and effective home security system is still worth investing in...and here's why.
Why you should install a home security system
Home burglaries are a terrifying experience that can affect homeowners mentally as well as financially. On average, in 2020 each home burglary in the UK costs around £3,000, with one occurring every 106 seconds (ONS). More than one-third of that cost is the emotional cost to victims, which makes sense when you take into account that someone is home during 58% of burglaries.
These facts alone should be enough to convince any homeowner to invest in even the most basic of home security systems, but how effective are they? Well, according to The Guardian, nearly half of the 12 burglars interviewed for a study on crime stated that most thieves were opportunists who would avoid difficult break-ins. The most effective deterrent for home burglaries were CCTV cameras along with barking dogs, strong doors, a TV being on and strong UPVC windows. Proving that a simple home security system does in fact work when it comes to preventing domestic crime.
A surprising fact from the study also revealed that 28% of adults take no measures to protect their home. But why? Let's now take a look at some of the pro's and con's associated with home security systems.
Pro's of a home security system
- Safety - The first and foremost benefit of installing a home security system in your home is, of course, safety. As we have seen above, installing a simple CCTV camera system is enough to deter a burglar from targeting your home. A small investment in a basic home security system could potentially save you thousands in the future.
- Home insurance discounts - Many home security systems can get you discounts on home insurance. Obviously, home insurance companies wouldn't offer you this discount if they didn't think that home security systems didn't work.
Con's of a home security system
- Cost of equipment - The biggest turn off for homeowners when it comes to home security systems is their cost. On average, a good security system will set you back around £300 for the equipment alone. But, as we mentioned above a £300 investment is definitely worth it considering each burglary costs household £3000!
- Monthly/Yearly costs - In addition to the initial investment for equipment, further expenses may be required for services like 24/7 monitoring and cellular, landline or battery backup, which keeps your security system on in the event of a power cut. This all depends, of course, if you choose to install a security system provided by a professional company rather than a DIY system.
- False alarms - A false alarm is always better than a real alarm, right? Of course they are, but we still don't want them to happen. Not only do they wake you up in the middle of the night, but they also become a bother to the police who are more than likely going to be notified every time your alarm sounds.
Despite these con's the positives of home security are to sure to outweigh the negatives. As the old saying goes, "you can't put a price on peace of mind." That is why here at IDS Security Systems, we offer state-of-the-art home security systems that ensure you, you're family and your home are always protected. No matter what your needs are, we are able to provide a home security solution that suits you. You can learn more about our home security systems below.
Home Security Systems >
If you would like more information on how IDS Security Systems can protect your home with our bespoke security solutions, then please do not hesitate to get in touch with a member of our team today.