When the temperatures soar, all we want to do is open every door and every window in the house and enjoy the fresh air! This, of course, poses a huge security risk so we’ve put together a list of summer security tips to help you keep your home and garden safe this summer.
1. Be responsible with your windows
Opening the windows lets in a breeze that feels lovely during summer days and nights. Here’s how to keep your house safe while you have your windows open. Primarily, you need to ensure that all your windows can be locked, and can’t be forced open from the outside – especially if they are ground level windows. When opening windows around the house this summer, bear the following tips in mind:
- Try to only open windows in the rooms you are occupying.
- Ensure all windows are closed if you plan to go into the back garden for a while.
- Don’t leave downstairs or accessible windows open during the night.
2. Secure your shed
One area of the house that is often overlooked in terms of security is the garden shed. We often store valuable items in our sheds like bikes, lawnmowers and tools and because they are often isolated away from our houses, they are an attractive target for thieves. There are a few ways you can secure your garden shed to prevent your valuable being stolen:
- Repair any existing damage. A broken window or loose panel can provide a great access point for thieves.
- Install lights in your garden with a passive infrared sensor, so any night-time intruders can be caught red-handed.
- Install a sturdy lock system and an intruder alarm to alert you if a break-in is attempted.
3. Improve your home CCTV system
Improving the surveillance around your home is a great way to ensure your property will be secure during summer. Whether you’re at home or away on your summer holiday, a home CCTV security system can allow you to keep an eye on your home and belongings.
At IDS Security we offer a range of CCTV options to help you secure your home. To find out more about the CCTV security systems we offer, click here:
CCTV Security from IDS >
4. Ensure you have a competent fire security system in place
The hot and dry conditions that come with summer heat waves can be incredibly dangerous, causing fires to spread at an alarming rate. Here are a few tips to help keep you and your property safe from fires this summer:
- Keep doors shut as much as possible. It can be tempting to open all the doors in the house to allow air to circulate, but a closed door can keep a fire at bay much longer than if a door is left open.
- BBQ sensibly. Don’t have open fires near to your home and be sure to put them out before venturing back inside.
- Check that your fire alarm system is fully operational. At IDS we can help you to design, install and maintain a comprehensive fire security system to help prevent fires in your home this summer. Find out more about our fire alarm systems here:
IDS Fire Alarm Systems >
At IDS, we want to ensure you have the necessary security systems in place so that you can enjoy a relaxing summer! Give us a call on 029 20 753 251 to enquire about improving your security before summer, or click the button to explore our security options online.
Explore IDS Security >
Going on holiday is so exciting, but one thing that often plays on people’s minds while they’re away is the security of their home and belongings.
The best way to ensure guaranteed relaxation on your holiday is to prepare and secure your home before you leave. In this blog we cover a variety of tips that will help you feel at ease as you jet off on your holiday.
Fire Prevention & Fire Alarms
One of the most feared and truly devastating things that could happen to your home while you are away is a house fire. There are a few simple steps you can take to dramatically reduce the likelihood of a fire while your house is left unattended.
- Turn off at the mains and unplug any household items that do not need to be on. This includes lamps, Tv’s, hairdryers etc. If any of these items are faulty, they could cause a fire while you’re on holiday.
- Close internal doors before you leave. If a fire was to break out, having the doors closed will limit the oxygen (fuel) accessible to the fire, and will also stop the fire from spreading throughout the house as quickly.
- Check and change the fire alarm batteries. You should always check your smoke alarms are working properly, whether you are going on holiday or not. But when you leave to go on holiday, having effective smoke alarms in place can alert neighbours and the authorities if there is a fire.
If you don’t have an effective fire alarm system in place, we at IDS can help! Our specialist team can design, install and maintain fire alarm systems for any property, commercial or residential. Click the button below to find out more.
Fire Alarm Systems from IDS >
Leaving all of your worldly possessions unattended is another a huge worry for holiday-goers. There are a few ways that you can optimise your home to prevent a burglary.
Having a CCTV camera (or cameras) installed around your home will give you peace of mind that any security breaches will be recorded, and the cameras should deter burglars who know they are being watched.
There is a huge range of surveillance systems available to choose from. At IDS Security we offer a range of security cameras and CCTV systems that can be tailored to suit your property. We even provide surveillance systems that can be accessed remotely through your mobile phone or laptop so you can keep a watchful eye on your home from hundreds of miles away.
IDS CCTV Security Systems >
Like a fire alarm, an intruder alarm can alert neighbours and the authorities if your property is broken into while you are on holiday. At IDS we offer intruder alarm systems with an optional maintenance contract. This means you can have your property monitored by our team around the clock!
Interested in seeing the different types of intruder alarms we offer? Simply click the button below:
Intruder alarms >
Some final security tips to ensure your property is properly secured before your holiday:
- Hide or deposit any valuable items in a safe or secure place.
- Ensure all your windows and doors are not damaged and are locked.
- Don’t make it obvious that your house is temporarily vacant.
- Don’t broadcast your holiday prolifically online.
- Make a checklist to ensure you have taken all necessary security precautions before you set off!
We hope that these tips help you enjoy your holiday knowing that your home is safe and secure. If you have any questions about home security, don’t hesitate to contact a member of our team on 029 20 753 251.
Owning a home or business can be one of the proudest and most rewarding parts of an individual’s life. Years of hard work and dedication put in to achieve something most people may not have the pleasure of doing. So, it comes as no surprise that when a home or business is the victim to crime, it causes a whole host of problems and issues to owners. From theft and burglary to criminal damage and shoplifting, all acts of crime can have a long-lasting effect on both home and business owners alike. But how prevalent is crime within your area?
As you can see from the information above, it pays to ensure that your home or business is sufficiently protected from potential crimes such as burglary. With commercial and residential premises susceptible to criminal behaviour, installing any of the listed security solutions will go some way to protecting your home and work. To view our collection of security systems, simply hit the button below!
Browse Security Solutions >
If you have any questions regarding our range of security systems or general enquiries that you'd like to ask us about, then please do not be afraid to get in touch with a member of our team today.
People often think that installing a security camera system by themselves is going to be a simple task, but that’s not always the case. Depending on the scale and type of surveillance system you to install, the planning, design, installation, and maintenance required can vary.
If we break down the installation of a typical security camera system, including a couple of cameras and a standard monitor, it would look something like this:
- Decide where you want your surveillance camera(s) to be installed
- Select and purchase appropriate security camera(s) – either as a complete package or individually
- Set up your monitor
- Test all of the equipment prior to installation
- Install the camera(s)
- Link the cameras to your computer/monitor
- Maintain the system
While following these steps is fairly easy to do, the entire process can be unnecessarily costly and extremely time-consuming. At IDS Security Systems, we have a team dedicated to designing, installing and maintaining security camera systems, so you can enjoy a high level of security around your home or business with none of the hassle. We stay up to date on the latest developments and changes throughout the security industry, so that you don’t need to spend hours researching which security cameras are the best on the market.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you think that we can assist you in installing security cameras yourself. Simply call 029 20 753 251 to speak to someone in our Cardiff office, or click the button below to send us an enquiry.
Contact IDS >
The garage is often one part of the house that is forgotten by many homeowners when it comes to security. Research shows that homes containing no security measures are almost five times more likely to be targeted by criminals than those with the simplest of security measures. It’s not just the main living area of the home that’s at risk of break-ins, however, with burglaries involving garages incredibly common. Often the place where cars, bikes, tools and other valuables are kept. Despite this, many homeowners still choose to not properly secure their garages with sufficient security systems.
Here at IDS Security Solutions, we offer a number of high-quality security systems that provide your garage with fantastic levels of protection. These measures involve:
- Intruder Alarms – A simple but effective way to secure your garage. Our state-of-the-art intruder alarms can be specially designed, installed and maintained by us to ensure efficient levels of security. These systems can be monitored around the clock from our monitoring station, with our engineers on call every hour of every day throughout the year. Particularly effective at detecting unauthorised intruders, this is a great measure when it comes to protecting the good in your garage.
- CCTV Cameras – Another common method of home security, our CCTV security systems provide a great solution to garage related crimes. Depending on your exact requirements, our skilled engineers are able to identify and install the most suitable CCTV cameras for you. Through the close and continual analysis of the latest developments within CCTV technology, such as digital recorder and fibre optic transmission, our security cameras provide contemporary solutions that you can place your entire trust and confidence in.
- Packages – To ensure maximum levels of security for your garage, you are able to combine our security solutions into one, bespoke package. Integrating a number of our systems such as an intruder alarm with a CCTV camera will provide you with further assurance that your garage is being properly protected with a tailored surveillance package.
Ensuring your home and garage is sufficiently protected is of utmost importance, that’s why we at IDS encourage you to make the investment into defending your valuables from criminals. We specialise in bespoke security systems to fit around your needs, so no matter what garage security system you have in mind, we are confident that you can find it here with us. To learn more about our range of home security measures or to contact us to inquire about your garage security system, click below today!